Sunday, August 14, 2011

11.8%

11.8%  is the unemployment rate in California and my husband recently joined that percentage.
BUMMER.
I don't mean to drag all of you down, but I do want to share. I know we are among MANY and if you are in the same situation, I feel your pain!
So it's time for both of us to find work. The last time this happened it took 6 months for him to get a job.
To promote myself and hopefully drum up some clients we put together a little portfolio while at family camp (it was already paid for so we went on a little vacation despite our turn of events)
First I did hair and makeup for some fellow campers and Brett took pictures by the lake. Here's what we came up with:


Then we turned our cabin into a photography studio. I did the hair and makeup of this staff volunteer and Brett took these pictures. This is how they turned out:





I hope to get back into the salon world in the next couple weeks. I just can't decide if I want to do commission or booth rental. After a few meetings with a few key people those questions should be ironed out and I'll be able to make a decision. Either way, I won't be making a killing by any means. But every little bit helps right?
I plan on writing for my blog still. I need the distraction! So hang in there! My life has just received a little twist and I need to adapt. After all, it's the twists that make life interesting right?

4 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry to hear that.

    You do amazing work and I love love love your blog and am constantly waiting for hair tutorials. I am a stylist myself and have been out of the business since 2001 so that I could stay at home and homeschool our two girls. Our oldest just graduated and our baby is starting her Senior year. So I am facing going back into the workforce soon. Your tutorials inspire me so much and I would love to see more. Especially one on how to get those gorgeous curls to stay in someones hair. Hint Hint...
    Best of luck to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to show you how to get those curls to stay! It is officially on my list now of tutorials. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I just got laid off too. I'm scared. I feel for you and your family but clearly you are both very talented. Good luck to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya Brooke! This happened to him last year too(2 weeks before my due date with my son). I'm less optimistic this time though. How sad is that? It's very scary and a blow to the ego. I'm sure we'll all survive, it's just not going to be easy. Good luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete